Monday, December 19, 2011

i was made for camp.

my name is linda, and i am a summer camp addict.
(ok. that isn't a problem and this is not AA. but i thought it had a nice ring to it)
i have always loved the idea of camp. i couldn't wait to be old enough to go. i went to camp edisto in  branchville, south carolina when i was ten-almost-eleven(i always went in june, but my birthday is in july, so i always hyphenate my at-camp age) and again when i was eleven-almost-twelve, and loved it both years. but in 2003, still eleven-almost-twelve, i went to camp la vida, three days after getting back from edisto. from then on it had my heart, and it still hasn't given it back.
it's eight years later, and i've worked there for four. i've given up mission trips, vacations, weeks on weeks of sleeping in, and jobs that pay three times as much. but i don't think i've missed a thing.
i live for camp. and if you're reading this, you probably do too. if you need heat, constant walking, little kids surrounding you, semi-obnoxious songs in your head all day, and mass produced institutional food in your system, then i'm writing for you.

what you need to know about me:
-i'm 20 and a junior at a great little Bible college in south carolina, majoring in youth ministry with a concentration in adventure education, hoping to someday have a permanent camp job somewhere, if i ever graduate.
-i'm very southern, and so is my camp.
-i'm five feet tall and have very small feet. most of my 6th grade campers are my height or taller, and most 4th grade or older wear a size or two bigger shoe than i do.
-i've spent part of all the past nine summers at camp la vida, the first five as a camper for five days a year, the past four as a staffer for ten weeks a year.
-i consider the first day of camp a holiday.
-i love to make lists. kind of like i'm doing right now.
-i LOVE talking to other people from other camps. my fellow la vida staffers are like my sisters, but meeting cool people from other camps is like discovering distant cousins.
-i do what i do for God. he saved me through camp, and i'm beyond thankful that he's letting me serve him there now.

the posts below are all imported from my other blog. i switched because i wanted people to be able to more easily get to my camp-related posts, instead of having them wrapped up in between my posts about everyday life at school.
i'm trying to write for the general camp lover, not just for myself or for those who have worked at my own camp. i'll throw in little anecdotes for them too of course, but for the most part, i hope any camper or counselor can relate to what i have to say.

subscribe, share me, and enjoy! and visit some of these others:
summercampconfessions.tumblr.com
campcounselormoments.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment