Sunday, June 19, 2011

"...for a camper is a miracle who will soon become a part of your life."

i think my favorite part of coming back every year is watching my campers grow up.

my first summer, my unit leader would tell me every time i cried about a group of girls leaving, that i was now a part of every one of their lives. i didn't understand what she meant at the time. but i get it a little more each year.

i have a few who have come every year i've been here. some i don't even recognize because they've gotten so big. i feel like a grandma when i talk about what they were like in 3rd grade(but i figure it makes them feel special). there are some who have been in my cabin for multiple years, and i love seeing how they've changed, listening to them in bible study, or just watching how they act now. some will be crazy and loud and drive me out of my mind one year, then come back the next year and be calmer and quieter, and i'll miss their louder self.

i really am a part of these girls lives. just like my old staffers are still part of mine, simply because i remember the impact they had on me. and i'm pretty sure that even if they can't remember my name, or some of the things we did their week, they'll remember that crazy cabin leader they once had, who cried on friday when their mom took them away from me.

one of my girls this week told me on friday morning "you really do love us, like for real, don't you?" it wasn't a question. she knew the answer. i can only think of a few staffers that i had as a camper who i would say that about. i wanted to be just like them when i grew up; and i guess i did it.

that is insane. i am unbelievably blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment