Wednesday, February 29, 2012

the best way to celebrate leap day/why do i talk about camp so much?

today i got to go to a church and do a promo for camp. i saw some of my old campers, we sang the songs we've missed so much(ha. ha...okay i have missed them a little bit), and we got them all excited for the summer.
i love my campers. and i love hearing that they're still friends with each other; one of mine from my favorite week of all time told me all excited like that she emailed this other girl in our cabin all the time and they were planning to come the same week again. i made so many great friends as a camper, and i try really hard to help them do the same now, so it makes me happy to see them keeping in touch.
and it's adorable how some of them think camp works. if someone isn't coming back this summer, they freak out and think something terrible happened. or they're shocked when we don't know what cabin we'll be in this summer. they're so innocent and i love it.
i really miss being around little kids. i need more of them in my life; people my own age get taxing after a while.
people outside of camp get bored and sometimes even annoyed with my camp stories. i try to keep shut up about it to them but apparently i still talk too much.
but how is my loving camp and wanting to share it with people such a bad thing? when missionaries go on furlough, does anyone yell at them for being excited about their work, missing it, and wanting to go back to it? no. that would be a total jerk move.
so why, then, is it okay to try to discourage me from counting down the days, wishing i could be with my friends on staff, sometimes putting off homework a tiny bit to have a skype date, and planning months ahead for the summer?
it isn't okay. leave me alone. people like that make me want to go back to camp even worse, so i can be with people who understand it.
camp is not an idol in my life; it's because of God that i love it so much and talk about it all the time. if God told me to go somewhere else, i'd do it. i don't assume it's where he wants me; i KNOW it's where he wants me, because he constantly confirms it. i ask him a lot if it's still what he wants. i'm totally open to other possibilities; just because my first choice happens to be what he wants doesn't mean i'm taking over God's plan or jumping to unbiblical conclusions.
God is my life, camp just happens to be the biggest part of that life. so if i ever say "camp is my life", calm down. that's all i mean by it.
*steps off soap box*
satan is trying so hard to get to me and it's only february. you know what that means? this is gonna be an awesome summer. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment